Tuesday, October 14, 2008

Blacks Pols in New Hampshire?

So, blacks are getting elected even in cities and states where there aren't many of us. This doesn't surprise me too much. I'm from southern West Virginia, and I've thought on and off about returning to get engaged in local politics there. Yes, there is definitely racism in much of rural America (I don't know what the demographics are like in the New Hampshire district discussed in the article). But what I've always found interesting is that rural racism--the most ignorant sort--is usually the easiest to overcome. These usually aren't evil people, just people with not much external exposure or education. They're often quick to recognize their own ignorance when confronted with it.

The most difficult racism to overcome is "educated" racism--that of the lower-middle/middle class, who have a philosophy of racism based on what they consider reasoned, commensensical observations. So, seeing black representation in places like Iowa, New Hampshire, Minnesota--even rural West Virginia or Kentucky--would not be that surprising.

I will be shocked, however, the day I see black representation of, say, the white suburbs of Cleveland or Atlanta.

http://www.nytimes.com/2008/10/14/us/politics/14race.html?_r=1&hp&oref=slogin

No comments: